Monday, May 4, 2020

         Now that there is light at the end of the corona virus tunnel, people are asking the question; how is this going to change our lives? Good question. Any time change comes about, we wonder how it is going to change our lives, our routine. We fret about it, we make up scenarios in our minds about it, we tend to imagine the worst. How is this going to change our lives?
         My question to that is, who cares how it is going to change our lives? I am more interested in what will be unchanged. Isn’t that the same thing? Well, yes and no. The big difference is the attitude.
         Monday morning, at 5:30, my foster daughter sent me a text. She wanted to tell me that she loved me and that she was glad to have me in her life. That has not changed in 35 years. (Not the texting, just that she loves me.) This virus is not going to change that fact. I have a friend in the Miami area, Noelvys, who was once one of my Youth. She is of Cuban descent. When she starts talking about something and she gets into her story, she begins to talk faster and faster and then she slips into Spanish. That has not changed in 42 years. The virus will not change her. Paul and Peggy had a baby in 2008. Beautiful, healthy baby, from what I was told. He died at three months. I worked at the funeral home and I met them there for the first time. I talked with them and prayed for them. I have prayed for them ever since. They both came to Christ, as did the three other children. I have seen Paul and Peggy be baptized. They have become foster parents to two more. I have continued to pray for them all these years. They are special to me. The virus will not affect that in the least.
         My point here, I suppose, is do not worry so much about what will change. Rather, dwell on the good things, the things that bring you pleasure. The things that fulfill your life. Your children, your grandchildren, your friends, your church family. Now, more than ever, you want those things and those people in your life. Embrace them with your mind as well as with your arms. Take nothing for granted.
         Years ago, I sat with an elderly lady in our church in Ohio as she lay slowly dying from cancer. She told me of the struggles of raising four children, of dealing with all their issues while her husband worked. “Back then, Pastor, the wife made the home while the husband paid for it.” A little twinkle passed through her eyes. “But, my, how I loved it! My children will never understand how much I treasured that life! Please, tell them for me.” And I did, a few days later, at her funeral. This virus has kind of put all of us in that situation. But we don’t need someone to tell our loved ones how much we love them and need them. We can do it ourselves. Very soon, we can do it face to face.
         Some things will change. That cannot be helped. But this is like a thunderstorm that has just about run its course. The grass will be greener, the leaves will glisten, the air will have that wonderful smell that only a summer storm can bring.
Who you are, who you love, who you need, has not changed. Don’t worry about what might be. Rejoice in what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment