Monday, May 18, 2020


         About two months ago we were told by those in the federal government who make these high and benevolent decisions that they had finally decided to send out stimulus checks to every tax payer. The money could go to buy frivolous things or necessities or tide one over on bills until their jobs would resume. The decision was driven, I believe, more from political motivation than from any kindheartedness. This was evidenced by those who tried to tack on political pork into the bill. But still, checks were on their way.
         May 18, 2020. I finally got mine.
         Over the lock down, I have not missed a day because I consider my job essential. The church has been good to me in all this, making sure my checks kept coming. And the folks in the church have been very good to the Lord with faithful giving. My stimulus check went right into my savings. I didn’t need it to make ends meet.
         But, what if I had needed that money? What if I had needed it to make two car payments? What if I needed it to pay some urgent bill? What if I couldn’t afford my medication? What if I had needed that money for food? That is what it was for, right? By now, my car would have been repossessed, I would be delinquent on my bills, I would either be in the hospital or dead because I would have been unable to buy my medicines (Would that then have been a COVID-19 death?) and I would be mighty hungry.
         So much for faith in the government.
         Or faith in anything. Medical: We have people who have had serious medical needs postponed because of the virus. Scholastic: We tell our kids to work hard and there will be a good ending to it, then they are told they cannot finish the year out. You can graduate on line. Employment: We are told the economy is great and then 10s of millions lose their jobs. Family: Birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, weddings and more; events that draw families together. Canceled. Church: We are a church family. We love our people. But then, we can’t go to visit or be with someone in the hospital.
         But, Pastor! These are unusual times! We can’t help the situation!
         Completely true. That doesn’t help the man who needs surgery to stop an infection and he is turned away. That doesn’t help the senior who has worked hard for years and now cannot have her moment in the light. That doesn’t help that sole bread winner who suddenly has no job. That doesn’t help that couple who is celebrating fifty years of marriage in a big, empty house. That doesn’t help the young lady who has had a stroke and is in the hospital and is confused and frightened and doesn’t even have someone to pray with her.
         We trust in things and, through no one’s fault, that trust is burned and disappointment comes.
         In the Bible, the word ‘trust,’ in all its variants, is used 147 times. It is either telling us to trust in the things of the Lord or it is telling us not to trust in the things of man. In Deuteronomy 28:52 we have a verse that is talking about the punishment given to God’s people for their lack of faithfulness. It easily applies to right now; They shall besiege you in all your towns, until your high and fortified walls, in which you trusted, come down throughout all your land. And they shall besiege you in all your towns throughout all your land, which the Lord your God has given you. Everything we have trusted in has been laid ruin in just two months. The scourge has been nationwide.
         Have Christians been faithful to the Lord? Do we cut corners in our service and in our worship? Have we told the world about Jesus with our words and our deeds? We are besieged. The metaphorical walls we have built have come crashing down. This ministry, this that we have been made stewards of, is under direct threat.
               However, it is not over. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us this; Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. This is that moment in time when Christians can make a real difference if we will just put ourselves in His hands. Do you know anyone who trusts in the government anymore? Does anyone trust all the conflicting views we get from the medical profession? The fact is, this is all new territory. Learning as we go along, mostly from the mistakes we make. But while no one wants to trust the experts, I have only ever had one person in forty five years of ministry who refused to let me pray for them. People are seeking for something. Let’s give them the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment