Thursday, May 7, 2020


         Mother’s Day is going to be different this year. We will not be in church, of course, so we lose that aspect of it. But they are also suggesting limits on gatherings, even at the home. You can have a pretty big shindig, though, with 25 people. Still, this whole virus thing is hanging over us and the whole atmosphere seems charged with gloom and doom.
         Obviously, it hasn’t always been this way, and it will not always be this way. The year 2020 will always have a weird place in our hearts and minds. But I firmly believe it will get much better.
         As far as this year is concerned, it will be somewhat like last year for me. Not really a big deal. Oh, we have quite a few ladies in the church who are great Moms. (I know this because they have told me)  I know other women in other states who are great Moms. But my Mom passed in 2002 and Marsha’s Mom died in 2011. Marsha’s Mom was Dorothy and she and I always had the best time together. I grieved over both ladies when they left this earth and I really look forward to seeing them both again. And Marsha is gone now, too, just in a different way. Mother’s Day was always a meal out and something she wanted to do. So, while the day is lacking its old enjoyment, there are some very fine memories.
         My favorite Mother’s Day memory actually doesn’t involve my mother or Marsha’s mother or Marsha. It involves my son.
         My son was six and I took him shopping for Mother's Day. He knew what he wanted to get Mom. Marsha collected figurines. Not little dollar store figurines that a six year old could actually buy. These were a bit more expensive. Marsha had been pointing out to me the one she wanted. Her birthday was in August and I figured to get it for her then. However, Adam overheard. He knew the one she wanted and he told me he wanted to buy it for her.
         “Well, son, it costs quite a bit. Maybe something a little less expensive.” “I don’t care if it costs everything I have, I want to get it for Mom.” How do you say to a little guy who loves his mother more than anything that he cannot afford the gift he wants to get her? So, during the week leading up to Mother’s Day, Adam and I headed to the mall.
         There was a store there that sold that kind of thing and that is where we went. The lady unlocked the display case and took the figurine out. We all headed to the counter and Adam walked up to the cash register, his little hand clutching all the money he had in the world. He looked at the clerk and said, "How much for my Mom’s figurine, please?" His hand was so small that the three dollars and change he clutched was visible. The cashier looked up at me with a concerned look and saw that I was holding three twenties in my hand behind my son. She smiled and said, "Well, how much have you got there?" "Three dollars and twenty six cents, ma'am." "Oh, how nice! Just exactly right!" My son smiled a big smile of relief as he handed the money over. She took the money and I told him to go out and wait just outside in the mall while I got the lady to wrap it just right, and then we would go to that movie. I paid the lady. She went to give me Adam’s money back. “No, you keep it as a memory of a little boy who loved his Mom.” That made her cry.
         When we got home from church on Mother’s Day, our son proudly presented his gift to his Mom. Marsha was stunned. She looked at me for an explanation. I just said the lady really liked his smile. That was cool.
         Twenty five years later Adam and I were headed to a jewelry store to pick up something for his new wife's birthday. My son wasn't talking much and I was just looking out the window while he drove. We always just enjoyed each other's company. Suddenly he said, "Dad, this time let me pay for it." I had no idea what he was talking about, and I said as much. "That figurine I got Mom when I was little. You paid for that." I wasn't going to lie. "How did you know?" "It just came to me driving to work about a year ago." We shared a laugh, remembering just how pleased she had been. It was a good memory.
         Later in the store he saw a bracelet he thought his wife would like, and then he saw the price. Actually, we both saw it at the same time. I sucked in a lung full of air and he nearly choked. Under his breath, he said to me, "Hey, Dad, you know, if you really did want to pay, that would be OK."
         Moms, even under the circumstances, enjoy your day. And those of you who still have your Moms, make it special. The day is coming when you will only have memories. Make those memories great!

No comments:

Post a Comment