Wednesday, May 17, 2017


          Denise Scibona was our church secretary in Ohio for the last six years I was at Park Street Christian Church. We had a wonderful working relationship. I could have the bones of an idea and give it to her and she could add a little and I could add a little and pretty soon we had something that was pretty good. Her husband and I were friends, her kids went through our youth group (each one serving a period of time as youth president) and Denise, Marsha and I sang in a pretty good trio. At least it was good if I sang softly. We published a weekly, eight-page newsletter, of which Denise was the editor, and she kept all the events of the church in order. In fact, the only real problem I had with Denise was that she was a very good writer. The first time I went on vacation after Denise became the secretary, she wrote the pastor’s article in the newsletter. After I read it I decided that I was either going to have to write my article ahead to cover my vacation time or not go on vacation. I didn’t want the church to realize they didn’t need me.

          Apparently, the current pastor does not share my fear. I get the newsletter still and Denise does the column fairly often. I really enjoyed this last one and I would like to share it with you all. Keep in mind, I am sharing this without permission. If Denise sues me I might be asking all of you for legal aid. The only lawyer I personally know ism Denise’s daughter Tina, and I don’t think she would defend me against her mother.

          Anyway, from my dear friend, Denise Scibona.

From the Secretary’s desk:

(Last interruption from me, I promise, but I need to point out that I have called my newsletter articles “From the Pastor’s Desk” since 1987. Denise stole my title and her writings “From the Secretary’s Desk,” So now I don’t feel so bad for stealing this article.)

 In less than two weeks, we will be celebrating Memorial Day.  We all know the reason for Memorial Day; to remember those who gave their lives for the freedoms we have today.  We remember those fallen with parades, flags and flowers.  I am saddened at times when I watch a parade and folks don’t honor the American flag as it passes by, or give tribute to those who serve or have served as they march by.  We live in a society where some care more about new phones and the newest gadgets than honoring those who gave their lives fighting for our nation.  What would happen if we didn’t have those folks who fought?  Where would we be right now?

  We set aside one day to remember those fallen soldiers.  We show the colors of red, white and blue, we fly our flags.  We sadly watch on the news as they bring home the body of a soldier who perished in battle.  We are saddened by his or her loss.  The news tells of countless men and women serving the country and don’t get me wrong, I am so thankful there are men and women who serve and have served to keep America safe.  I am thankful that my dad was one of those men who served as were all of my uncles!  I take pride in flying my American flag and am thankful for the freedom to do so.

As we remember those fallen warriors, we also must remember another One who gave His life; not for our freedom per say, but for our salvation; which we could call our freedom.  Jesus suffered such a beating for our “freedom” from sin. His willing sacrifice is something we need to remember every day! That salvation from our Savior is free to us; we don’t have to pay anything for it; Jesus already paid the price.  We just have to accept Jesus and begin to follow His leading.  Sounds so easy, doesn’t it?

When you read the Bible, do you really take in what you read?  We might read the same scripture multiple times but the one time we read it, something stands out.  This happened this past Monday at our ladies Bible study.  The author was highlighting 1Peter 2: 22-24, “22) He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. 23) He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered.  He left his case in the hand of God, who always judges fairly. 24) He personally carried our sin in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right.  By his wounds you are healed.”  

Each crack of the whip that Jesus endured  represented one of our sins.  Each nail that was pounded in His hands and feet represented those sins.  Our healing and salvation is a direct result of Jesus’ willingness to hang on that cross.  By Jesus’ wounds we are healed!  Not going to be healed, we are healed!   

When we see the American flag, we remember those who gave their lives for our freedoms.  When we look at a cross or our brothers and sisters in Christ we need to remember the One who gave His life for our “freedom” of salvation.  Do you want to know more about your salvation?  Come join us this Sunday!

In His service,

Denise Scibona ~ secretary



Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment