Thursday, February 2, 2023

    Allow me to get somewhat personal. I would greatly appreciate it if you folks would make this situation a matter of prayer.

    My son, Adam, and his wife, Kim, are getting a divorce. Most of you know that neither wanted children to begin with. The pregnancy was completely unplanned. So, when they found out that Kim was pregnant, they planned on putting the baby up for adoption. However, when Kim got that first ultrasound, it became real. Studies have shown that when an expectant mother has that ultrasound, 80% of the women who were planning to abort or adopt out will decide they want to keep the baby. Kim was not different, and I could not blame her. Adam, however, was furious. He felt like Kim had betrayed him. He called me and was shocked that I took Kim's side on the issue. In the end, we had words, and our relationship is strained. Adam came around, to a point, and seemed to be accepting the new situation. However, it must not have been enough for Kim, and she is the one who filed.

    They saw the lawyer and Adam called me to go over what the lawyer had told them. I asked him about how visitation was going to be set up, and my son told me he was not going to seek visitation rights. Later, Marsha called me and told me I needed to retire and come home and sit them down and talk sense into them and then be there for when I am needed to talk more sense into them. She also told me that if I had retired two years ago, then there would not be a problem now. Way too much confidence in my abilities. 

    Here is where many of you will disagree with me. If they divorce, Adam will still support the baby and Kim, as well. He would never shirk his responsibilities, but he would still pass on visitation. At some point, Kim will probably remarry. Kiri (my granddaughter) will naturally call him Daddy. Adam will be fine with that, and so will I. Every little girl needs a Daddy. If he has parents, they will become her grandparents. Every little girl needs grandparent. She already has Kim's parents, and she has Adam's parents. However, we are intermittent. Marsha, I assume, will fight to see her, but I feel it will be more of a confusion to Kiri. I told Marsha the other day that I am going to put Kiri's needs above mine. I will continue to put money away toward her education (for as long as I can) but I will not fight to see her once or twice a year.

    I have said for years that people do not disappoint me. People are people and are very prone to making mistakes. However, I am disappointed in Adam and Kim. Adam, because he really didn't work at it enough. Kim, because she didn't give it enough time. But I am grateful to both of them that abortion never came into the conversation. 

    I was thrilled to be a grandpa. I still am and will be until I die. But it is, of course, different now. I have prayed about this and have made the decision. So, you will not be able to talk to me about visitation. In time, the divide between Adam and I will go away. Marsha, well, that is another story. And for me, I put Kiri in God's hands and that will be enough.  










No comments:

Post a Comment