Tuesday, September 20, 2022

     Since I have already written one blog out of time and place this week, I may as well write another.

      In 2017 I had triple bypass heart surgery. Quite the ordeal. It wasn't long after that when I passed out at the wheel of my car and nearly killed several people, including Tami Overman, before I wrecked and totaled my car. This was the result of a medication error on the part of the hospital. When I got the chance to talk to the doctor about it, he checked my chart, saw his error, and said, "Oh! My bad." A true professional. And to go along with it, I was never set up for cardiac therapy. 

    About a year and a haft later I began to have trouble with my legs. Eventually, ulcers began to develop. Very painful wounds. It got so it was an agonizing torment to walk. I kept them wrapped, but they seeped and bled. Ed Fitch kept telling me to go to a doctor and I refused. Finally, he came to the apartment and called an ambulance. Off I went, back to the same hospital that performed the bypass. Looking back, I may owe my life to Ed. Just don't tell him. He wouldn't let me forget about it. Anyway, I spejnt a week in the hospital. I had the beginnings of an infection. They treated that and then they began to treat the wounds on my legs. no one had any idea why this had happened. And the treatment on my legs was just basically the same wrap I was doing already, only with antibiotic ointments. I was going in and being wrapped once a week and was doing my own wraps the other days. Eventually, even though I still had a couple of places, I was released. Also, during this time I had A-fib, so I was a mess.

    As all this was going on, I was still making visits as much as I could. The pandemic came and visits had to cease anyway. And the ulcers began to come back. As things opened back up from the pandemic, I realized that making visits was unreal painful. And the A-fib had returned. My doctor, associated with the same hospital I went to for the bypass, was not to concerned about either the ulcers or the A-fib. My health began to really fail and the pain all came back.

    I made trips to Ohio to see my best friend from childhood as he was dying from a lung ailment. I kept telling myself I was going to go to a Parkview doctor when all those things with Keith (my friend) evened out. But then he died, and I went back and did his funeral. By the time I got back I was in constant agony. I didn't realize it, but I had a serious infection going. Finally, Barry Swanquist took me to the ER in Wabash. I may owe my life to Barry. Just don't tell him. He wouldn't let me forget about it. From ER in Wabash I moved to Huntington and the hospital. One doctor who came to me in the hospital, Cynthia Wellman, told me a year later she was surprised I had lived through the infection. From the hospital till now I have had one doctor's appointment after another. Parkview medical took care of the infection, the A-fib and they found the cause of the ulcers and we are working on that. It goes back to sloppy work during the bypass. 

    It has been the ulcer wounds on my legs, however, that have been the most visible reminder of how sick I have been. What a struggle and so much pain. Slowly, almost so slowly you could not see the difference, they have healed up. When I would go in and be depressed because there was no healing, the nurses at the Wound Care Center in Huntington would show me pictures from when they started. Slow, but this time it was being done right.

    From July of 2021 until now, September 2022, I have limped into the Wound Care Center at least once a week. I know all the doctors and nurses there. Several times I have prayed with different ones as they struggled with things in their own lives. I know about their kids and their husbands and their vacations and more. And they have been caring and professional and compassionate toward me. All but one are young enough to be my child (one could, technically, be a grandchild) and the other is old enough to be a friend. My appreciation for those people there runs deep. Never, ever, ever speak poorly of nurses to me.

    So, why am I telling you all this? Two reasons. Although you have known I was having issues, (hard to hide it) only a couple have known the extent of my illness. No doubt some have been disappointed in me as I have at times failed to be a good pastor. I have missed very little time in the pulpit, but being a pastor is so much more. This period of time will always be my greatest regret of my ministry. I still have a road to travel. I do, however, so appreciate the compassion you have shown to me.

    The second reason I am telling you this is because, today for the first time in four years, there are no wraps on my legs. The doc did tell me that I was a high risk to return, but today I was released from the Wound Care Center. And now I know the drill, I know what I have to do to be healthy and I plan on stopping in a time or two to visit the crew at the Center, but I am done with the Wound Care Center at this time.

    I hope I haven't bored you, but you are my friends. I wanted you to know what is going on. I wanted to share with you my great blessing.

    Joy to you.  

     

                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment