Thursday, January 2, 2020


         It is very bothersome, really, to have so much wealth. People lining up to ask for money for their particular cause. Acting like I am their best friend. Assuring me that everything depends on me and my generous spirit. Yes, it is quite inconvenient.

         I am speaking, of course, of those seeking funds for their political needs. Going back to November 1, 2019, I have received almost 70 e-mails asking for donations for political purposes. This all started back in August, but I have only kept count for the last two months. 41 in December alone. Many are in the form of ‘Team’ requests. Team Trump, Team Trump-Pence, Team Braun. Then there are the ones from Donald J. Trump and Donald Trump, Jr. Newt Gingrich has contacted me, as has Rudy Giuliani. Various Republican groups have sent out pleas and invitations to rallies. All of these groups need money to fight the evil Democrats and their impeachment efforts. But it doesn’t stop there. Nancy Pelosi has asked for money, since I have been such a Democratic stalwart in the past. Adam Schiff and others need my support to overthrow the corrupt and evil man in the White House. My support will put them over the top. And then, there are the pleas for money from the miscellaneous groups, most notably those wishing to protect Barack Obama’s legacy from the evil Trump. In all of these cases the e-mails, and in some cases the postal mail, have referred to me in the first person. No, ‘Dear Contributor’ or ‘My Good Friend.’ No, it has strictly been, ‘Dear Larry.’ We are good buddies, apparently. Democrat, Republican. Doesn’t matter. They all love me and my expansive bank account.

         I have never, ever given so much as a single penny to any political campaign. If my life savings was accidently put into the account of any of these who have begged for money, they wouldn’t even notice the increase. They all claim I have given well in the past, yet I have given nothing. And I have begged to get off these lists. I have gone to the ‘Unsubscribe’ portion of the e-mail, to no avail. I suppose that would be because I never subscribed in the first place. Since they call me Larry, I have sent e-mails back to Don and Don, Jr, to Newt and to Rudy, to the Mikes and to Nancy and Adam and the others. I mean, if we are all friends, why not.

         I will vote when it is time to vote. I will feel privileged to vote. And I will vote my conscience. But that is it. The money I give to charitable organizations goes strictly to my church, and through my church, it goes to expand the kingdom of God.

         I am an American. Back in the day I volunteered for military duty. I have voted for decades. I love my country.

         But first and foremost, I am a Christian.

         Philippians 3:20-21, But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like His glorious body, by the power that enables Him even to subject all things to Himself. Matthew 10:29-32, Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. So everyone who acknowledges Me before men, I also will acknowledge before My Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies Me before men, I also will deny before My Father who is in heaven. In Jeremiah 1:5, God is speaking directly to Jeremiah, but I have always felt that it is to me, as well, and any who have surrendered to the call of the Lord; Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.

         On my desk is a name plate. It is small, maybe a foot long. Maybe three inches high. On the front is ‘Rev. Larry Wade.’ It was a gift from a funeral director 23 years ago. It is granite, the same material from which headstones are carved. I imagine that it was scrap rock and he had it reworked for me. When I die, that is to be my headstone. No great monument, just that name plate. Why would I need more to mark my life? These ‘great’ people, whom all seem to know my name, know nothing of me. Somehow, I got on two mailing lists. That is all. We have never sat down and had coffee. We have never swapped funny stories. None of them asked me how my Mom was doing when she was sick and I never asked them anything like that, either. We do not know one another. But I have a Father who knows how many hairs I have on my head, my permanent home is in glory, and my Father knew me before I was ever created and knew that I would give myself over to His use. Have you ever thought what you might say to one of these ‘great’ people if you ever got the chance? I already know. I would ask them if they were going to heaven when they died. In the world’s realm, that makes me a small person, so my headstone can be small. But I serve another Master, one greater than all these put together.
         2020. An election year. Do your civic and moral duty. But don’t forget your true Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment