Monday, July 8, 2019

The 4th of July in 1976 fell on a Sunday. For the nation's 200th birthday, the whole weekend had all manner of patriotic events planned in communities all around the country. And it was a good thing, too. The United States needed a party. 
The country had been rocked to its core over the previous ten years. Riots in the streets stemming from civil rights issues and the war in Vietnam, drug use and abuse was sweeping the nation and a US president had been forced to resign from office just two years previous because of his involvement in the Watergate crime and cover-up. Soldiers home from the war were met with hatred and disgust. They were called 'baby killers' and worse. Police were disrespected, authority was ignored and the moral fiber of the country was coming unraveled. The economy was not doing very well and, as the country was getting ready to elect the man who would arguable be the worst president in our history, the economy was about to get much, much worse. Against this back drop, the nation came up on its bicentennial. 
For a week before the 4th, there was a little stunt played out around the country. At various times and at various locations, places that played music in the back ground (malls and grocery stores and department stores and the like) would slip in the National Anthem as a song in the line-up. The reaction of the people was then noted and it would be a small notation in the newspaper or radio. In big places, like Grand Central Station in New York City or in selected airports around the country, it would be on TV. I don't know if it was an organized stunt or if these places all just came up with the idea on their own or maybe it was a case of copycat, but the Anthem was unannounced and the people's reaction was genuine. It was one of those things that came and went and left no real lasting impact other than as a novelty.
At the time, Marsha and I lived in Cleveland, Tennessee. Not Cleveland, Ohio. In 1976 we lived in Cleveland, Tennessee. Their motto, at least at that time, was 'The Second Biggest Cleveland in the World!' In Cleveland there was a small mall and one of the anchor stores in that mall was a grocery store. I think it was a Winn-Dixie, but I really don't remember that little detail. Anyway, we were in that crowded store on Saturday afternoon when the National Anthem began to play over the sound system. No lyrics, just that familiar drum roll followed by music. All over the store, people stopped. It was a total surprise and their was that quick moment of confusion as people asked themselves, 'is that what I think it is?' But then, men began to remove their caps and cross their hands in front of themselves (some placed their hands over their hearts, but according to flag etiquette that is only required when the colors, or flag, has been presented). Everyone stopped what they were doing. The cash registers stopped. Except for the music, there was no noise. Even the children were silent. The Anthem only lasts for a short while and when it was over it was almost as though no one knew quite what to do. Somewhere in the store, someone started clapping and in seconds everyone was clapping. Some were cheering. Folks were shaking hands with people they hadn't come in with. All around the store you could "God bless America, man!" The whole mood of the place changed. Smiles on every face. Children who had been shushed into silence while the Anthem played were asking questions and their parents, or even strangers, were explaining the significance of what they had just seen and heard. It is something that I will never forget.
This past Sunday I was headed home from church. Since moving the week before I had not really had time to pick a few things up, primarily fruits and vegetables. I stopped at The New Market grocery store (formally Lance's, for you old timers out there) in North Manchester to spend a little money. I was in the produce section when, of all things, the National Anthem started to play. The drum roll and then that familiar tune. So out of place in a grocery store on a Sunday afternoon. Why, I thought? That evening, sharing the story with the Bible study group, it occurred to me that it might have started playing right at the moment the US Women's Soccer team won the World Cup. (With the controversy surrounding them and our flag and Anthem last week, that would be very ironic) Whatever the reason, the National Anthem began to play. Memories from 43 years came back to me.
But it didn't play out the same way as it did 43 years ago. Millions of people were offended that a washed up former quarterback was able to convince a second rate shoe company to remove a shoe from the shelves that had a flag on it. Millions of people were offended that a player on the US women's soccer team got away with disrespecting the flag and the country while on foreign soil. Millions of people get all wrapped up in politics and want their own way for the good of the country. But when the National Anthem played in a small grocery store in a small town in Indiana, no one stopped what they were doing.
People kept on shopping. Somewhere a couple of kids were shouting. The cash registers kept on ringing customers up. The workers kept on stocking the produce or bagging the groceries. No notice was given to the Anthem at all. 
As I stood there with my hands to my sides, I started to make excuses in my mind. These days, stores get their music from services. If it had music from Lance's, there might have been an announcement preceding the Anthem. Music is just background, maybe no one picked up on the Anthem. It could be that proper etiquette concerning the Anthem is just no longer taught. Even on a Sunday afternoon, people are busy and can't stop. Of course, I probably dislike music more than anyone there, but I picked up on the Anthem. But the worst thing about it all was that while I stood there, still, hands to my sides, still wearing my suit, a man in his early 30s followed by a little girl, came walking by. He looked at me oddly. Quietly I said, "They are playing the National Anthem." He kind of gave me a half nod, and went on his way, the little girl following. What a failed teaching moment! He could have instilled in her a little pride and a little respect. But, no, they had a loaf of bread or something to get.
The Anthem ended and I left the store as quickly as I could with my few items. As I write this I am still making excuses in my mind for the folks, workers and customers, in Lance's that day. But the whole thing has left me distressed. How have we gotten so distracted and so oblivious in just the span of a lifetime? What does that say for our future? 
I still remember lifting my right hand and repeating the words of enlistment back in the day. I swore to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I swore to obey the orders issued by the President and by the officers appointed over me. I swore my allegiance to my country. That was a long time ago, but it meant something to me then and it means something to me now. Even if I am just picking up some tomatoes in a grocery store.
If you had been in Lance's, would you have recognized the nation's song? Would you have stopped out of respect instead of busily going on your way? 
I can understand, to a degree, the reaction of the people that day in Lance's. I just cannot believe in my heart that so many would simply disrespect the Anthem, not in this area in which we live. I have to believe that it somehow just wasn't noticed. But the man with the little girl.....to me that was as much disrespect as that washed up football player going to his knee during the playing of the Anthem. And, or course, I am over reacting. Just another old American.........

No comments:

Post a Comment