Friday, July 13, 2018


          In the opening chapters of Genesis, people tended to live a very long time. From the moment that sin entered into the world mankind began to devolve rather than evolve. We are still devolving. Mankind possesses more knowledge now than ever before, but that is because the knowledge has accumulated generation by generation. Wisdom, however, is in short supply. We can see the lack of wisdom in the corruption that now plagues humanity. Those who mock the Scripture are mocking the wisdom of the ages.

               But, back to longevity. By the time of Moses, mankind had slipped back in lifespan to roughly what we experience now with modern medical procedures. Some would, occasionally, live longer, but the average of a man was around 80 years old. Women tended to not live as long due to the stresses of childbirth. However, Moses was an exception. His life went in 40 year increments. Until he was 40, he lived as Pharaoh’s grandson. At 40, he had to flee Egypt. For the next 40 years he tended his father-in-law’s sheep. At 80 he was called into service by the Lord through the burning bush. For the next 40 years he led the Jews through the Wilderness, dealing with all their problems while also boldly following the lead of the Lord. Then, at 120 years of age, he turned it all over to Joshua and then died. A complete life, by any standard. Along the way, Moses wrote a body of law that is, despite the desire of modern thinkers to make us think otherwise, the basis of our own legal system. Within his final address to the people, Moses gave them encouragement and direction. He also gave this verse. Deuteronomy 31:6---Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."

               We know this verse. We have heard it, studied it, maybe memorized it. But does this verse reside in our hearts and make a difference?

          First time I ever put this verse to use. Fall of 1974. I had graduated from high school in June. I was going to go to Bible college in January 1975. I knew the Lord was calling me to be a pastor. I needed the six months to get enough money together to start school. As I worked at a factory to put together that money I also envisioned myself pastoring a great mega-church somewhere in the future. I was going to be awesome. Then the pastor decided I needed to be on the preaching rotation for our children’s church. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, does it? Our church ran buses. We brought in around 600 kids every Sunday. They were divided into two age groups. Kindergarten to third grade, fourth grade to sixth grade. So, my first preaching effort was in front of 300 fourth, fifth and sixth graders. I was terrified. I had big plans, but those plans didn’t include little kids. How was I supposed to talk to them? How could I relate to them? I would find out in later years that well established and experienced pastors find it harder to preach to children than they do adults. I didn’t know that at the time; I just knew I was scared to death. I knew nothing about ordering my thoughts to bring a message. I knew nothing about any of it. I did, however, come to the conclusion that I had made a major mistake. Obviously, God did not want me to preach. Eventually I came across Deuteronomy 31:6. I told God that I would be strong and courageous and I promised Him that I would never preach again after this one time. Just please get me through it.

          And He did. When it was over I had to think it all out. Wasn’t so bad. They were just kids. They listened, sort of. The important thing was, I had done this with the Lord.

          We cane be strong in the Lord for He is with us. Sometimes in our arrogance we take off without the Lord, leaving Him behind. But He is still there, waiting to pick us up when we fall. And we will fall. We can be courageous in the Lord because He has already won the battle for us. When we boldly do what we think is right, rather than what God knows is right, we begin to battle on our own. And we will lose. We don’t need to fear enemies or circumstances, because He already has a plan. We make plans and expect the Lord to agree to those plans. But our plans should be made in Him. Finally, we are told He will not leave us or forsake us. But, we do leave Him sometimes, don’t we? We do the things we think are right and proper. We do forsake Him, as well. King David certainly did in his sin with Bathsheba. He thought he was king so it would be alright. It wasn’t alright, though, and he lost all his strength and courage and Spiritual covering.

          Is your life strong in the Lord or is it strong in you? The good impact you make when you are strong and courageous in Him is everlasting.

          In 2008 a pastor from a church several towns over from where we lived called me up and wanted to take me out to lunch. He pastored a large church that was growing dramatically. He told me to pick the restaurant and he was going to pay. I picked my favorite place and we met there. I love Subway. Over lunch he thanked me. I was confused a little. “For what? You paid.” He told me that I was a huge influence on his life. He was a little boy in church that day of my first ever sermon. He came to Christ. Over the years we had gone back maybe three times to preach to the adults, and this pastor could remember every message, every point. “So, I just want you to know how grateful I am for your faithfulness.” I told him how terrified I had been that first time. “But you did the right thing.”

          We are not just living our own lives. We are molding other lives as we go along. Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment