Thursday, June 7, 2018


          The other day I posted a blog about Jesse Duplantis, the Louisiana evangelist who wants his ministry’s followers to send in 54 million dollars so that he can buy a plane that will take him anywhere in the world with only one refueling stop. He says it will save money because he will not have to pay the high cost of fuel in some foreign country. The reality is, Duplantis doesn’t leave the US very often. He and his wife have a 35,000 square foot home just out of New Orleans, so they are sort of home bodies. But that is beside the point.

          At dinner on Wednesday evening, my wife brought the subject up. I was really enjoying the chicken and pasta recipe she had made, so she did most of the talking. “Do you think his followers will actually put up that kind of money? I mean, they have already bought him three planes, but this is a lot of money. That would be terrible if they spend that kind of money on a plane rather than real ministry. I wonder what his wife thinks about all this. Is he married?”

          By this time the chicken was gone and there were just a few pastas left. This allowed me to join in the conversation.

          “Well, Marsha, I imagine she is OK with it.” Marsha shook her head. “I don’t know. She has to know that is excessive.”  “Sweetheart, they have one child who is now grown and married and living away from home. The Duplantises live alone in a 35,000 square foot home that cost $3,000,000 to build. Twenty five rooms plus an in-house movie theater. His net worth is between 40 and 50 million dollars. Multiple cars. Rolling acres surround the house. She is probably OK with anything he does. In fact, I bet she hasn’t had a yard sale in a long time.”

          Marsha just stared for a bit. Then, “How long has he been doing this?” “I don’t really know, but at least since 1976.” Marsha nodded her head. “So, one year less than you?” I thought for a bit…”Yeah, I guess that’s right.” Marsha looked at me thoughtfully. “What’s your net worth?” I laughed, but she repeated the question. “What’s your net worth? You’ve been doing this longer, you should have more money.” “Marsha, I could never preach the prosperity Gospel.” “Why not?” “It’s not right. It’s not backed up by Scripture. I couldn’t mislead people.” “Not even for a little while?”

          This conversation did happen, but it was all in fun. The prosperity Gospel is a lie. By taking verses out of context, you can make an argument for it Biblically, but if you read and know the Bible, you know the Lord doesn’t promise wealth and health and all good things. In fact, we are called upon to suffer for Him.

          But then again, maybe there is something to it. I couldn’t go big money, but, well, you know. It’s like this.

          When I grew up only farmers had trucks. Usually, an unpadded church pew was more comfortable than an old farm truck. If you were to look at a restaurant or theater parking lot, you would probably not see a single truck. It just wasn’t done. Except by me. I drove the farm truck on dates occasionally because it had more gas in it than the car. Marsha’s Dad figured I was some backwoods hillbilly. He did not like it at all. But, I liked the truck. It smelled bad, it ran really rough and rode like a, well, like a truck. I just figured, to bad, sweetie. If you don’t like the truck, you don’t like me. I have always liked pick-ups. But I have never owned one. I drove a company pick-up for a while and my neighbor Lou had a pick-up he let me drive when I was doing something for him, But I have never owned one. I have always had fuel efficient cars because I drive a lot and have limited funds. A truck, however, would be a neat thing to have. I don’t want a new truck. Those cost about as much as a small house. No, an older truck. Maybe a four wheel drive, but not necessary. Something that can tow the trailer I don’t have and have no use for. Color doesn’t matter. In fact, I like that rust color you see on some. I’d be willing to spend, well, maybe $3000. But I can only do it with your help. If I had a truck, I could go all the way to Fort Wayne to the hospitals and come home on just one fuel stop. I could carry one other person comfortably, or we could squeeze in two others. Jesse Duplantis said that if Jesus was here now He would be flying around in His own jet. Well, Duplantis is wrong, folks! Jesus would ride in a farm truck! (Seriously, I think we would see Jesus in a farm truck a whole lot more than in a jet.) So, if you can help, send those checks to the church and they will be tax deductible.

          And so long as we are talking about ministry, there is this blog you are reading now. This is written on a laptop that cost less than $500, but that was back before we went all prosperity Gospel on you. This blog is read in thirty nine countries. (Actually, that is true and I have no clue as to why it is read in 39 countries. It is read in Russia more than any other country except for the US. Kind of creeps me out a little.) Now, folks, don’t you think that if we are going all over the world on the world wide web that we should have something more than a $500 laptop? To really get into a real good system, you are talking $3,000. Is that to much to ask, good folks? If I had a really good system, why there would be no end to what I could write. If Jesus were here today, you can bet He wouldn’t be using any old $500 Hewlitt-Packard laptop. No, He would have one that could anticipate His next words. If you want to help, send that donation to the church and it will be tax deductible.

          The last two paragraphs have just been for fun. (Well, the truck, now, would be cool.) But this does illustrate the absurdity of the prosperity Gospel. I have eternity to bask in the grand blessings of God. Here, on this level of existence, it is time to do the job. It sounds odd coming from me, because most of you know me and know I would reject such heresy. But coming from Duplantis or some of the others, people accept that and give to it. Don’t be mislead, don’t be gullible. Be God’s man or woman and stand for the Word.
          Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment