Monday, January 8, 2018


            It is very hard for most of us to understand things that go beyond our personal experience. We know what we know and we have a tendency to think that anyone who is clear thinking would agree. I thought about this at 5:30 this morning as I read the overnight news on the internet. (I am always curious to see if the West Coast was nuked over night.) The big, important news this morning was that Blanca Blanco did not wear a black gown to the Golden Globes last night. There were three stories about this terrible act. Now, ‘personal experience.’ I have no idea who Blanca Blanco is, although based on the name and the Spanish grammatical rules, and the fact that she wore a red gown, I know she is a woman. I also know her name means ‘white (feminine), white (masculine).’ So, first thing I am wondering is why would you name your child White White. Second, I am wondering why they are making a big deal about the color of her gown. And third, I had to ask myself, ‘What are the Golden Globes and why are they more important than real news?”

            I did some research. Wikipedia, which is an on-line encyclopedia type of a publication, says this, Golden Globe Awards are accolades bestowed by the 93 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association beginning in January 1944, recognizing excellence in film and television, both domestic and foreign. The annual ceremony at which the awards are presented is a major part of the film industry's awards season, which culminates each year in the Academy Awards.[1] The eligibility period for films correspond to the calendar year. For example, a film would have been eligible for the 60th Golden Globe Awards (held in 2002) if it was released on any date 01 January to 31 December 2001 inclusive.”  That explains it, to some degree, although the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is a new one to me. I know about the Oscars being for movies and the Emmys being for television, so from the definition I am assuming that the Golden Globes are a combination of the two. Apparently, they have been around since 1944, so I should know about them, I guess, if I cared.

            Then I did a little research into the black gown thing. It seems that all the women this year who were attending the Golden Globes were asked to where black gowns to draw attention the sexual harassment that runs rampant through the entertainment industry. Wearing the black gown, I read, sent a strong statement to industry execs and Blanca Blanco decision to wear a red gown weakened that statement. Again, ‘personal experience.’ I read about some of that stuff a couple of months ago. Men who had been using their positions of power to gain sexual favors from young starlets are finally, after decades of such behavior, being brought down. Good riddance and farewell. There were some instances where the men in question used drugs or alcohol to make the women more compliant. But here is my thinking. These men all had reputations for this sort of thing. The women knew about these reputations. Yet, they still went, mostly willingly, to the hotel rooms or apartments or homes of these men. In many cases they engaged in the sexual misconduct required by these men so that they could get parts in movies or television productions. Then, years later, they seek to turn on these men. See, in my little world there is such a thing as personal accountability. It is like the Biblical account of the woman taken in the very act of adultery and brought before Jesus so He could pronounce judgment on her. Of course, Jesus pronounced forgiveness. But the unasked question is, what about the man involved in this act of adultery? How does he get away with it? In the case of these women, how are they not shamed and forced out of the business? Maybe they didn’t want the sex, but they put themselves in a position to be taken advantage of, so isn’t there some blame involved? They so wanted a part or to get in good with these sleazy characters that they swapped their bodies for the chance. Sounds like prostitution to me. If they were forced, why didn’t they bring these men up on charges? Well, they would have never worked in Hollywood again, of course. Which causes me to ask; What is more important; personal integrity or the questionable fame and glamour of Hollywood? The answer is obvious.

            So, now they are ‘strong’ women. They have made it in the business and they no longer need these scummy men, so they are all joining together to bury them. As far as the burying of these men, I agree wholeheartedly. Any man who will use his place of authority or position to have his way with a woman (or, as it turns out, another man) should be tossed into prison for the rest of his life. But, there is still the question of personal responsibility for the women. Strong women stand up. They may be battered and they may be scarred, but they stand up. And a strong woman doesn’t wait 20 years to do it, either.

            Anyway, these women banded together to wear black. Most of the men, too, although a man in a black tux is hardly noteworthy. Then, along comes Blanca Blanco, who wore red. She wasn’t the only one to not wear black, but she was the focus. Who is this woman? In the last two years she has been in twenty two movies, fourteen of which are still in post-production. That is completely amazing. She is not a star, nor do any of these parts have real importance, but to be in twenty two movies in two years means you are working all the time, even overlapping movies. Apparently, she is a hard worker. Wearing red got her a lot of notice. And, the lack of dress material in that red gown also got her a lot of notice. That is what it is all about in Hollywood. Notoriety.

            Like I say, my experience, or lack thereof, confuses me. Of those twenty two movies, I have not seen a single one that has been out and of the others, I might see one. Chances are, I will miss her bit part. I know nothing about Hollywood, whether it be movies or TV. I don’t care too, either. But in my little world, hypocrisy is hypocrisy. Based on what I have read, those men used those women to satisfy carnal desire. Disgusting. But, at the time, those women were allowing themselves to be placed in jeopardy and were therefore using those men to satisfy professional desire. Is that not disgusting? Let me know what you think at oldirishguy51@yahoo.com  

            My next blog is going to further explore this concept of what we do, and do not, understand based on our own experience.
Blessings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment