Monday, August 21, 2017


       
          I am having trouble getting excited about this solar eclipse thing. People have been rushing to the areas of total eclipse for days now. All kinds of things on the news about how to view the eclipse, which is good since you could conceivably go blind, and explanations about what causes a solar eclipse. A little further on the edge are stories of people resurrecting old pagan myths that sought to explain such things, which I find interesting. And then there are the Christians who are saying that a solar eclipse is a warning from God. It expresses the dark of sin and evil. Bryan Fischer, apparently a well known Christian radio host on the American Family Radio Network, is telling his audience that this is a warning. Meanwhile, Anne Graham Lotz, daughter of Billy Graham, likens the event to the Biblical story of the hand writing on the wall as a warning that no one is heeding. While many people will grow fearful because of these things that ‘Christian leaders’ are saying, the truth is there are at least two solar eclipses a year and can be as many as five. Just not in the United States. Evidently, when it happens somewhere else it is not a sign. Just when it happens here.
          I think many people are profiting on the event. Dark glasses are being sold, full prices are going up to get a little extra from the travelers, offerings are increasing in some religious coffers. But why? This eclipse has been on schedule for decades and decades. It would be real news if it didn’t happen. This is not an unusual event. If anything, it is evidence of the steadfastness of the Lord. He put the universe in motion and it follows a precise a precise plan.
          A number of years ago the planet Mercury was going to pass before the sun early in the morning, just at sunrise, and could be viewed from certain locations in the northern United States with binoculars just before the sun came up enough to blind you. Seconds only. This event was much rarer than a total solar eclipse, yet there was practically nothing in the news. It takes 88 earth days for Mercury to completely orbit the sun, but we almost never see it because our orbit coupled with the nearness of Mercury to the sun works against us seeing the traverse. But on this one early morning it would be visible. Where we lived there was a long jut of land that extended into Lake Erie. From there we could watch sunrise over the water on every Easter morning. I made my way before daybreak to that location with my binoculars to watch this unusual event.

          I had gotten settled in with the binocs trained at just the right place. Just as daylight was starting to break and the very edge of the sun was coming over the horizon, I heard a car pull up. A quick glance showed me it was a policeman. I was in a park and the park didn’t open until 8, which I hadn’t even considered, so I kept watching until he would make me stop. He ran up to me and said, “Is it there yet?” I figured I was safe after all. “Not quite, but should be along.” The officer was excited. “Oh man, let me see, too!” I knew our county was cheap, but you would think they would equip the cops with binoculars. But just then the sun rose above the rim of the earth. Right there I could see a tiny black dot speeding across that tiny sliver of sun. “There it is!” I watched for a few seconds, then handed the glasses to the anxious officer. “Wow,” he breathed. I started into my witness. Still looking at the sun even though I couldn’t see the planet, I said, “Yes, it is amazing how God put the earth and universe in motion all those eons ago. His plan is so perfect for all the cosmos, and His plan is perfect for you, officer.” At that point, I heard a door slam. I turned to see the officer starting his car and leaving in a hurry. I hadn’t heard his radio squawk, so I suppose he was getting away from the religious kook. He had laid the binoculars on the top of a post as he had hurried away. I had to laugh as retrieved the glasses and went on my way.

          Pay attention to the event today, but remember that it is not a sign of doom. It is a glorious sign that this is our Father’s world.

Blessings!  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment