Monday, January 15, 2024

Alaska!

That was where we wanted to go. The wilderness. The isolation. The need for churches. We were in school, so Marsha and I both began to take some classes that would prepare us for missionary work. People said we were crazy, and we probably were. But it was what we wanted.

Funny thing about being in the ministry and personally wanting something. If you listen, you can almost hear God chuckle.

We applied for home mission work. The denomination had a plan for us, and part of that plan did involve mission work, so we seemed to be lining up for the denominational plan. The only thing was, we had no intention of leaving Alaska once we got there.

And then we got our assignment. Northeast Ohio. WHAT? THAT'S WHERE WE GREW UP! WE DON'T WANT TO GO HOME!

And it wasn't home. Masury, Ohio. Seventy five miles from home, right on the Pennsylvania line, but still Northeast Ohio. OK, that was fine. A few years there and then we would go to Alaska. They needed churches.

That was thirty nine years ago. In the last thirty nine years, I have done ministry in Indiana for seven years and Northeast Ohio thirty two years. Never got to Alaska.

We never wanted to go home, but the Lord's intention did become clear. It seems there are people who need Jesus here, as well as in Alaska. Not only that, but as you folks know, I am extremely level headed and grounded (hahahaha) and there are some real goofballs in Ohio I needed to help.

First week of June, but still a steamy hot day in Ohio. I was filling my gas tank at a local convenience type store when I noticed in the corner of the parking lot a lady and two teenagers, a boy and a girl that were probably her children, standing around a car staring solemnly at a flat tire on the front of the car. I went in to pay for my gas and when I came back out, they had gotten the spare tire from the trunk of their car, but they were still standing around staring at the flat tire looking as if they had just discovered an alien spacecraft. I drove my car over and asked if they needed help just as the boy turned and headed for the store. The woman said yes, they did need help, so I set about changing their tire.

Now understand the situation; As usual, I was in a hurry to get somewhere, but I couldn't very well leave these people in the lurch. After all, it was hot and they were going somewhere, too. The kids were high school age and school had another week, so I was thinking they should be in school, but perhaps they had a doctor's appointment or some such errand. I was in a suit and really did not want to get sweaty, but this was something I could do fairly quickly and still get to where I had to go on time. Changing a tire for someone is something I have done many times.

Just as I was getting the lug nuts off the old tire the boy returned and began speaking in a very agitated manner to the lady. "No luck! They wouldn't even let me have just a little! We have to get going right now! I...I...I'm telling you, I just can't wait anymore!" Being human, I became interested. What was it this teenager needed so badly? If he needed it so badly, why didn't the folks in the store help him out? The woman said, "I think you can make it. This guy is just about done with the tire. We can leave in a few minutes." The words did not seem to assure the boy and he began to pace.

By this time I had wrestled the old tire off and was in the process of lifting the spare up to the hub and trying to line up the lugs with the holes. The boy squatted next to me and filled me in on his dilemma. "You know what? If I had another dollar I could buy a pack of cigarettes! I tried to get them to give me part of a pack in the store but those %^&$#& wouldn't break up a pack!" He looked at me with a hopeful look, obviously thinking that after hearing such a sad story I might just reach into my pocket and give him a dollar. I just stared at him for a second. It crossed my mind to hand him the spare and get in my car and drive away, but I really couldn't bring myself to do such a thing. So, I just went ahead with what I was doing. He stood up and went over to his sister and began to complain about me. The woman just laughed and shook her head. It made me think that if that situation had occurred when I was a teenager and I had said that to someone kind enough to change my mother's tire, my mom would have straightened me right out. Then, when we would have gotten home and she had told my father, he would have bent the tire iron over my head (not really, but you understand what I mean). And I would have deserved it.

So, yes, there are people here who need my clear and calm thinking. But still...Alaska and moose steaks on the grill. Now, doesn't that sound good? 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment