Sunday, November 12, 2023

Some of you may read this and not really understand the thinking, but here goes.

There is an ethics code among pastors and those in the ministry. Some churches require the new pastor to sign the code and some denominations, such as the United Methodist, some of the Lutheran denominations and others, require the prospective pastor to sign the ethics code before they can pastor one of their churches. It certainly is not a bad code. It covers things such as sexual misconduct, financial correctness and things of that sort. The very things you would expect a pastor to be circumspect about. 

Several years ago, a Methodist pastor was brought up on charges that he had performed a civil union ceremony between two homosexual men, one of which was his son. This went against the ethics code he had agreed to when he was ordained by the denomination. He was to be dismissed and his ordination revoked. There was outrage among homosexual groups all across the country. In the end, the denomination backed down and allowed him to retain his church and his ordination. But the issue wasn't really about the homosexual part of all of this. The United Methodist denomination was already headed in the direction of acknowledging homosexual unions. The real issue was that he had agreed to it in writing and then broke that promise. The ethics code used to be serious stuff. 

I learned about this code in school, and I had two reactions to it. The first reaction was that it was a pretty good code. The second reaction was that I would never sign it. Our denomination did not require it, but we were told that some churches would require a signature. My feeling was that if you didn't trust me, then we were at odds right off the bat. A lot of pastors lie about anything just to get the call, so there might very well be a need to have a signature, but I knew I would not lie. The day came when I talked to a church, and they brought out the ethics code for my signature. I gave them my reasons and they considered it, and decided it wasn't necessary and we had a great ministry there.

But even though I wouldn't sign the code, I have still endeavored to live by it. Even now, in retirement, I choose to live by the ethics code.

Which brings me to a conundrum of sorts. One line of the code states that when a pastor leaves a church, he (or she, as the case may be) is not to have anything to do with the church for a period of five years. The pastor who has left is not to return to do weddings or funerals or baby dedications unless the church is without a pastor at that time. A former pastor who was well thought of might get asked to do a funeral of an old friend or a wedding or whatever. The reason this goes against the code is because it makes it harder for the new pastor to establish himself as the pastor. The former pastor may be contacted by the new pastor and asked to perform whatever service is required, but the former pastor is not to initiate the issue.

Obviously, that is not something that is carried through all the time. I have known many pastors who have violated this part of the code, even when they had agreed to it in writing. I have had it happen to me at every church I have pastored, and I have let it slide. My feeling is that at the time of a death the family should have who they want. But it does make sense and I have refused to do a service many times after I left a church.

Which brings me to my current situation.

I told you all that I was going to do an on-line Bible study. As I have thought of this, I have come to the conclusion that this is not good. I continue to write my blog, and that is fine since it is just a blog. But a Bible study is more the province of the local church, its pastor and leadership. A particular teacher might buy a Bible study for their class, but that is a method of preparation. To subject a group of people to a study that might go counter to the opinion of the teacher or pastor is, in my opinion, wrong. The largest single group that reads this blog are people from my former church. In my thinking, for me to do a Bible study would not be acceptable. 

Now, you may not care about any of this, but it is important to me. I will not be doing the Bible study.

On another subject, this morning in church, the speaker (the pastor was on vacation) answered a question I have often wondered about. The Bible says that in the gathering away, the dead in Christ will be taken first and then those who remain will be caught up in the air. But why are the dead raised first? The speaker, quoting Dr. Jeremiah, said that the dead are raised first because they have six feet further to travel.

Hey! Have a blessed week!                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment