Thursday, October 26, 2023

Obviously, things change. There was a time when McDonalds was strictly a walk-up place. You stood on the outside and spoke through a window to the people on the inside. And you paid less than a dollar for a drink, fries and hamburger. Then, eventually they made an inside lobby, but you still went in and then came out with your food and went to your vehicle. But the order was still under a dollar. In time, a new McDonalds was built only ten miles from me and they had an eating area. Wow! Talk about high class! Still, the food was under a dollar. On my first date with Marsha, I picked her up in our farm truck, which was a no-no. Then we stopped at McDonalds and I went in and left her sitting in the truck. I paid less than two dollars for both meals. Then we sat in the parking lot and ate in that smelly, old truck. She assumed I was ashamed to be out with her. I wasn't ashamed of her at all. It is just what I had always done. She told me years later that I was lucky I was so cute, or that would have been our last date. Hmmmmmm.....

Anyway, I am talking change. I assume that few people complained when dishwashers came out. When microwaves arrived, people complained that the food didn't taste the same, but everyone has one now. When people discovered that you could draw pictures on sheep's skin with a piece of charcoal, they quit writing on rock faces. When parchment came on the scene, sheep everywhere breathed a sigh of relief because people quit sheep skin. When inks were figured out, they got rid of charcoal. Folks found out the tip of a feather, dipped in ink, made writing so much easier. In the 1800s it got fast and furious. In 1848, an American inventor by the name of Azel Storrs came up with the first real fountain pen. Birds everywhere breathed a sigh of relief. In 1868, a group of American inventors filed a patent for the first typewriter. Then, in October of 1888, John J. Loud, an American inventor, filed a patent for the first ball point pen. All of these inventions were accepted pretty quickly (except for those who struggled through typing classes) and writing became much easier. In the 1960s the word processor was developed which allowed the writer to see the last sentence he/she had written and enabled them to correct any mistakes. This was an expensive little thing and they were not bought by individuals very often. But they were a boon to offices.

And then, the advent of the personal computer. We got our first one in 1994. I had worked with computers, had even done some programming. This one, though, came with programs in it, but you could still add some things. We got it on sale for only $2000. We made the purchase so our son could learn on it.

But I found it quite helpful, too. In 1985 I had been called to a church where the pastor wrote a monthly newsletter article. The lady who put it together told me to just write it out with a pen and she would type it out for the newsletter. With the computer I was able to type it out, put it on a floppy disc and give it to her. She could load it into her word processor and ta-da!!! Less work for her.

The computer has become a valuable and useful tool. I use it for everything. I have at least a thousand sermon outlines, just as many funeral outlines and a ton of Bible studies which I have transferred from computer to computer. Not to mention all of these articles/blogs. The computer has been great!

Until it broke down.

OK, get it fixed. Has to be cheaper than buying a new one, right? Actually, no. This laptop is only seven plus years old, but it is ancient in computer life. It could be fixed, but the information probably couldn't be transferred. Since the hard drive had crashed, the information on it would be fragmented. Transfer was possible, but it wouldn't be complete. And that transfer would be really expensive. Why don't you buy a new computer? You can play all kinds of games.......

I am not a gamer. Still, I was faced with a real problem. Part of that problem is that I am frugal. Some would say I am cheap. Maybe so, but I did not want to part with the money. Back when I wrote with a ball point pen and the pen quit, I bought another for about seventy five cents. I couldn't see my way clear to spend the money they wanted for the computer.

On the way back to the apartment I saw a little mom and pop repair shop. OK, I thought, if I must spend the money, I am going to keep it close to home. 

WOW! Seventy percent less than the big chain store and no pressure to buy new. I hated to part with even that money, but I can live with it. And the old girl has life.

Lessons learned; first, always check with the mom and pop places when you need to buy something. Keep it local. Two, when you are doing something for the Lord, He will provide. These blogs are all I have right now as far as ministry is concerned. I do it for Him. And three, I wear the same clothes for years, I drive a nine year old car and I have one computer that is seven years old and another one that is fifteen years old. Quit being a cheapskate!!! So, you know what? I went out and bought a new shirt! I am so excited!

OK, enough of that. Mondays will be a regular blog and Thursdays will be a Bible study. We are starting in Galatians for reasons that will be explained.

Blessings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment