Thursday, April 6, 2023

          Geneva, Ohio. Township Park. Standing on a cliff overlooking Lake Erie. If you looked toward the east, you were looking down the coastline. There was a jut of land down a few miles, on which stood a lighthouse. Not the tower lighthouse that we think of when we think of lighthouses, but rather it looked like a regular house at the end of the land with a light at the top. If you actually went to the lighthouse, you would see that it was huge, four stories with that huge light. Originally a base for the United States Lifesaving Service, it went out of use when the Lifesaving Service and the United States Revenue Cutter Service were merged into the Coast Guard. But the Coast Guard still maintained the house and the light. I at Township Park nearly every morning for eleven years, visiting with the Lord in every kind of weather. Lots of prayers and lots of coffee. Usually home before anyone else was awake.

         Every year we had a Sonrise Service. In a cemetery, in a field, at the church. Every year. And I would be the only one who came. Sonrise was different there than here. Always cold, always snow on the ground, a church full of sissies.

         I announced one year that we would be having Sonrise at Township Park and I would buy breakfast at a local greasy spoon for whoever came. “Can I just come to breakfast?” No. “Will it be cloudy?” Maybe. “You do realize that there will be ice on the Lake and it will be freezing?” Yes. “Do you want us to freeze?” No one is going to freeze because I will be the only one out there. “YOU ARE CRAZY!” I didn’t take that one personally. It was my wife.

         Oddly enough, we had ten sign up. Church folk will do anything for food. There was a lady in town who played taps at all the veteran funerals. She went to the Methodist church but she came to our Bible study. She asked if she could go. Of course I said yes. We were going to have people! Strangely, all of these people were women. They went from 17 to 70. They weren’t real enthusiastic, but they signed up and all intended to come.

         And they did. And all regretted their decisions. To say it was cold wasn’t really right. It was more than cold. It was hurt your bones cold. We had a melt the week before, so the roads were clear. No snow falling. The sky had no clouds. The fading stars were beautiful. The air was still. The Lake was partially thawed. A perfect morning. The lady from the Methodist church got out of her car and walked with me to the edge of the cliff, where there was a fence. We just soaked it in. The 17 year old got out of her car (she wasn’t real happy) and walked over to join us. For a moment it was perfect.

         Then the ladies from our church started to get out of the cars. You never heard such griping. “What on earth was he thinking?” “This guy is NUTS!” “I could be home in a warm bed!” If you were just listening to them, you would think I was the most horrible man on earth. They didn’t sound so much like a church group than as a flock of angry hens. Anyone listening would assume I was hated by one and all. And right then, I suppose I was.

         One of the ladies, who had ridden with the Methodist lady, emerged carrying a small case, which she brought over to the Methodist. “I hope you don’t mind, but I thought I would play my trumpet!” William Congreve said music soothes the savage beast, and at that moment it looked like there were 9 savage beasts that wished to do me harm. (The 17 year old was one of my Youth and she really did like me, so she would not have joined in pitching me over the cliff and into the Lake. However, at that moment she didn’t look like she would have protected me, either.) I would welcome the music.

         The trumpet player was constantly working the valves on her trumpet to keep them from freezing up. The other ladies were in a tight ball by the fence. I stood apart because it did not look safe to be near them. As they kind of looked toward the East, I read some Scripture. I had been there the morning before, so I knew exactly when the sun would begin to peek over the water. I had timed everything for dramatic effect. And I had this knot of cold, resentful women who couldn’t wait to leave.

         “Now, watch ladies! Any second.” “It’s about stinkin’ time.” “A free breakfast isn’t worth this!”

         And then the sun began to come up. Air that cold has no moisture in it, so it was as clear as you were likely to ever see. Ice floated on the Lake and it almost seemed as though the sunlight passed from one chunk of ice to the next. There were no clouds, but the sun seemed to light the air all around us. The ladies had gotten silent, as though someone had flipped a switch. It was quiet for a few seconds, and then some quiet gasps, a few muttered ‘wows’ and then it was as though everyone was holding their breath. At that moment, the trumpet began with “Christ Arose.” On a freezing cold morning next to a quiet Lake Erie, the notes seemed to ring out. The verse played out and when she got to the chorus, it was like we had rehearsed it. Everyone lifted up their voices. Up from the grave He arose! With a mighty triumph o’er His foes! He arose a Victor from the dark domain, and He lives forever with His saint s to reign. He arose! He arose! Alleluia! Christ Arose!” We moved right to “Amazing Grace” and, when the trumpet’s valves froze shut on the third verse, we sang the rest of it without music.

         By that time the sun was up so high you couldn’t look at it, so we all got into the cars and headed to the restaurant. The food wasn’t great but the coffee kept coming. The ladies kept asking, hopefully, if we could do it again next year. Later, at church, they got on everyone else for not coming out. It was kind of funny.

         I have always wondered what that all sounded like inside the homes right there close to the park, or maybe someone out walking their dog.

         He Arose!

         Sunday morning, at St. Peter’s Cemetery, it will be in the mid-30s right at sunrise. The breeze will be around 5 mph out of the east. Sunrise at 7:13, so be there by 7. It will be great! You will love it! And then coffee and breakfast back at the church. Always a great time.               

         He Arose!                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment