Thursday, December 15, 2022

    Eddie and Terry and Dan and Jamie and sometimes his wife Marianne and I would get together at four or five o'clock in the morning and have breakfast at Dennys. On Christmas morning. Marsha went once, but I am not sure she ever really woke up. There would be few other people scattered around, but they were mostly staying to themselves. There has to be a story to someone eating breakfast by himself at five o'clock in the morning on Christmas. Likely a sad story. However, our little group sat together and enjoyed our fellowship.

    The question was asked of me last week, what was it I missed most about Christmas, now that I am alone and far away. I think the expected answer was my son or, now, my granddaughter. I can only assume that the asker expected something sad. I thought for a few seconds and replied that I missed that little fellowship at Dennys.

    To most, it would sound silly, but everyone's idea of a fun Christmas is different. Terry and Eddie were Elders in the church. Jamie did the sound and organized the special music. Dan did the sound at a mega church in Texas, but he returned to Mom and Dad's for Christmas every year. Marianne was a school teacher with a wicked sense of humor. Our goal was to fellowship, to give our waitress a smile for Christmas (and a really nice tip) and to share Jesus with all who were there. We laughed, we joked, we sang Christmas carols. It was fun. Throw in the Dennys' Grandslam breakfast and it was the perfect morning.

    And now, I live where there is no Dennys, I am alone and I am far away from family. Traditions are gone. Laughter and opening gifts are no more. And yet, I find out that the holiday is actually better this way. There is nothing wrong with gifts and lights and laughter, so long as the worship of Christ is first. Now, with nothing to catch my attention and draw me away from Christ, I feel more fulfilled.   

    Back to Dennys on Christmas morning. We would give our orders and then Eddie would pick his target. Getting up, he would wander that way. He would sit down and start to share Jesus. The rest of us soon followed. We would find our way back to our table as the food was coming and we would enjoy. Then we would sing. It was like going caroling, only inside with coffee and sitting. Sometimes everyone in the place would be singing. What a wonderful way to start Christmas! It is a good memory.

    I look at people who have lost the joy of Christmas because their kids are grown or they are alone or there is some issue in their lives. Burdens can be so large that they block out the glow of the Savior. But it doesn't need to be that way. What a marvelous time to walk aways with Jesus. The joy of that is far better than the other things that clutter our walk.

    And, if you like, I am available to come to your house at 4 AM  and we can have a cup of coffee and some eggs and biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment