Thursday, August 11, 2022

My first exposure to an unforgettable musical program came in January 1975.

I had spent the first six months after high school graduation working to put together the money to go off to Bible college. In January of 1975 I first stepped onto the campus in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Visions of preaching in front of thousands, having a world wide radio broadcast and writing books were in my mind. Of course, none of that happened, but at the time I was surely excited. The possibilities were endless.

There was a church on campus. All first year students had to attend that church. After the first year you could attend a school approved church in the Chattanooga area or you could serve a school approved church somewhere. My first Sunday in the campus church was eye opening. Around 5,000 in the main sanctuary and around 2,500 in the rest of the building. Some were students, but mostly town folk and their children. I looked around and thought, WOW, this is what church is supposed to be!

Things proceeded pretty much like the church back home (a sorry excuse for a church with only around a thousand on Sunday morning) and, right on cue, the time came for special music. You weren't supposed to talk during church, but everyone started whispering to their neighbors. "Yes! It is them! They are going to sing!!!" People were really excited. A middle aged man and woman came to the pulpit. I assume they were both middle age. The man was, but the woman had so much make-up on, you could not tell her age. This was prior to Tammy Faye Bakker and I had never seen so much make-up. My mother and two sisters would not have worn that much make-up combined in a month. I would have laughed out loud, but everyone around me seemed to think the show was about to become mind blowing. I don't hear music like others do and I had never enjoyed it, but I thought maybe this time I would hear something amazing.

And it was amazing.

The introduction played and I knew it was going to be a regular hymn. I would tell you what hymn it was, but what happened when they started to sing made me forget everything else.

Imagine a hymn like "The Old Rugged Cross" being delivered in operatic style. And not even good opera. Whatever the hymn was, they hit all the high notes and held them for what seemed to be minutes. I imagined all the dogs in Chattanooga starting to howl and all the cats diving under beds and sofas. I closed my eyes and blocked my ears. I looked around thinking I would see fellow sufferers all around, but everyone seemed to have a look of pure rapture on their faces. Then the singers started to do the motions with the song. I would have laughed, but the music was so awful. As I watched, the woman's face began to change. It took me a minute to realize that her make-up was running. It was the weirdest performance I had ever seen. When it was over there were shouts of AMEN and cries for an encore, which the couple did, singing the chorus once more. I found out later that this was a husband and wife and they were the favorite singers of the chancellor of the school, who was also the pastor of the church. My roommate had explained these facts to me and then he got into one of his drawers and produced a big bag of ear plugs. "Whenever they are going to sing, wear the plugs and act like you love it. Always remember at this school you are being watched." Just horrible

What brought that little memory to mind? This Sunday, starting at 10 AM, we are having a ladies trio singing for us at the annual Church in the Grove. Word has it that they are pretty good. I am 99.98% certain they will not be singing opera. Come join us for worship.

And, just in case I am wrong, come see me. I have ear plugs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment