Thursday, April 29, 2021

 

          This whole thing of “Fear not” can get pretty hard. In fact, it takes a lot of faith to “Fear not.” Fear is easy. Faith becomes a problem.

There used to be, on the beach at Panama City, Florida, an amusement park called Miracle Strip. It was actually a pretty cool place. I say it used to be there but I am making an assumption that it is gone. It may still be there. Since we moved from the area in 1985 they have had a half a dozen hurricanes go right through there. This really was on the beach so I am assuming it is gone, but maybe not. Anyway, it had all the rides and games and food places that those places have and they also had the terrifying Spook House. The sign on the side of the building said that it was the scariest place on the Gulf (Gulf of Mexico) Coast, either in the USA or Mexico. It was two double wide mobile homes fixed together and had a smaller sign that had a warning that if you had a heart condition, not to go inside. Marsha and I had been at Miracle Strip a couple of times, but we had never gone in. Our little son wanted to do anything that daddy did and Marsha didn’t want him in there.

Then the day came that I took our Youth to the park. I had a couple of other adults with me who wanted to ride the rides and such with the kids, so I found a picnic table and settled in to read. After a bit, about a half dozen of the kids came running up to me.

“You have to come with us and go into the Spook House. Right now!” I looked up at them and said, “Get Mrs. Marshall and Mrs. Kline to go.” “They won’t go in! It’s too scary!” (Note to self; take men next time.) From where I was I could see the Spook House and the two ladies standing there along with the rest of the kids. They were all watching me to see what I would do. I closed my book and started to walk over. This was silly. Grown women and teenagers, afraid to go into a place like that.

When I got there, they told me that whenever someone came out of the House, they looked terrified. About that time there was a scream and the door flew open and three teens stumbled out, practically falling. And they did look scared and confused. All of my kids wanted to go, but they were way to frightened. I told the kids I would go in with them. The two ladies said they would just wait there on the beach.

As we waited in line my oldest teen, the one all of them called ‘Mom’ because she was always mothering them, instructed the others to hold onto the shirt or belt of the person in front of them so we wouldn’t become scattered. Then there was a little scuffle about who was going to be last in line. I finally assigned the oldest boy. Then we all entered.

I was in front and it seemed all the kids wanted to cram around me. We were in a pitch black and very narrow hallway, no lights. Occasionally there would be a little blast of air. That was it. I kept expecting flashing lights or ghosts or something but it was just a long, twisting, dark hallway. The girls behind me were so scared they were crying. The boys were trying to be cool, but that wasn’t working. You could see nothing, so you just felt your way.

About the time I was getting irritated with all the silliness, I bumped into something very low and soft. A frightened little wail came from it, “NOoooooo!” it wailed. Finally, I thought, something other than darkness. It took me a minute to realize that this was not there to frighten. It was a person, a little girl, who was so scared she was immobile. “Sweetie, listen to me. It is OK. We’ll get you out of here.” “You—you ain’t gonna hurt me?” “Well, I might have to hurt you if you don’t let go my leg, but no, you are safe.” I got her to her feet and we went on. We were only about 30 feet from the end. When we got there a huge scream erupted and the door flew open. The scream was to give you a fright and the sudden bright light dazzled your eyes and confused you. It turned out the little girl’s parents were looking everywhere for her, so it ended really well.

That is the way of fear. Fear comes from the unknown. We anticipate something very bad. Fear can make us freeze.

Sometimes there really is danger. Sometimes the possibility of failure. Fear can cause us to be hyper alert and ready. But when it is just the emotion, fear is empty. In Genesis 26 we see Isaac, the son of Abraham, struggling to make his way in the world after his father had died. There are conflicts and labor and much worry. God had made a promise to Abraham that his descendants, through Isaac, would be many and would be great. But now the responsibility was falling to Isaac, and it was not so easy to carry. Isaac had doubts. In Genesis 26:24 we have this (in the King James because it sounds so cool!)---And the LORD appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake. Now, that had to be a comfort to Isaac. The promise to his father was now his, as well. If God promises, that means He will come through.

 And yet, we often let Satan put empty fear before us. We have the assurance that the Lord will provide, will send the Comforter, will never leave us or forsake us. The promises go on and on. Even when we are beaten down, we have His promise that we can deal with anything.

Are there any more precious words than fear not, for I am with thee?

Word came today that a twelve year old boy whom we have been praying for has died. Something about that strikes a chord in any parent. It reminded me of a father who had three sons and had taken them fishing at Lake Erie. The two older boys were going to be fishing in the surf, but the Dad set the youngest son, ten years old, by the stream that was running in the Lake right there. He only had his back to the youngest for a minute as he helped the older boys, but when he turned back he saw the ten year old face down in the water. Just that quick, the boy was gone. At the time I worked at the funeral home. The next morning I stood in the prep room and looked at that small body. My hands trembled, my eyes watered. The image of my own son when he was ten came into my mind. I had to wash this boy and begin the preparation procedures. I had a job to do, yet I could hardly breathe. And then the thought; fear not, for I am with thee. I began the process.

           He never leaves us. It is a promise. Fear not.

No comments:

Post a Comment