Tuesday, June 9, 2020


         Really, it took me by surprise on Sunday morning. I have shared this before, but, after my prayer time, I read the comics. Not comic books. The newspaper comics. I read them online now, but I have read comics almost every day of my life since I learned how to read. Before that I would beg my sisters to read them to me. If you could peer into my apartment first thing in the morning, you would see me in prayer. Then you would see me move to my computer and you would think I was probing the depths of theological writings until you saw the screen. There you would see ‘Pickles’ or ‘Andy Capp’ or some such entertainment. You might think that comics are a waste of time, and I suppose they are, a little. But I get up between 4:00 and 4:30 so I can have a little time to waste
         This past Sunday morning was no different. I began to read. It took me a while to begin to see it, but eventually I began to see a common thread. In a lot of the comics there were small items that had no business being there. I didn’t catch it at first. Just an oddity. But once I began to notice it more and more in different comics, I had to find out what was going on. They weren’t just random items. They were recurring. A surgical mask, a steering wheel, an apple, a shopping cart, a fork and a microscope. All that had to mean something. As it turned out, this was the comic writers’ way of paying tribute to all those people who have maintained society during COVID-19.  
         The surgical mask represents those in the medical profession who have gone to work every day with the knowledge that they themselves will likely become ill. The doctors and nurses and med techs who have braved the day. Those first responders who have gone to homes to pick up people who are sick with the virus. Those police officers and firefighters who have had to try and maintain order despite the threat of catching the virus and the threat of violence. The drug store workers who are there to give out vital medicines.
         The steering wheel represents those who have kept goods rolling on the highways of America. Those carrying food or medical equipment or the things needed to set up field hospitals to see to the needs of people. On the news we see foolish mayors allowing protesters to block roads and stop those driving heroes from bringing in the relief that is so desperately needed.
         The apple represents the growers and those who supply the growers. While others were in their homes busy with being bored, there were those out in their barns giving their tractors and equipment a good greasing. Making sure everything would be ready for when the weather broke and the fields could be conquered. While others were hopeful they would soon be able to emerge back into a society that would surely be changed, the farmer was emerging from his barn and the dust began to roll in the time honored tradition as the soil was once again called upon to provide.
         The shopping cart represents those who have gone into work every day to stock shelves and work the cash registers and help people find things in the grocery stores. There is a small grocery store right by me. One evening I stopped in on my way home and as I walked in, I saw a banner that said “Heroes Work Here.” That was the first time I had really thought about it. They are going to run into all types in a grocery store. But theirs is a vital enterprise. We all, sick or not, must eat.
         The fork represents those restaurants that have striven to stay open in some form to feed people who need a break. Most would say that they are just chasing the almighty dollar, but I see it different. Some sit-down restaurants have offered curbside pickups and the Burger Kings and McDonalds of the world have kept their drive throughs open. Not so they can make a killing. I don’t think they are making a killing. But they are providing a valuable service for those who need it.
         The microscope represents those who have been solely intent on finding a cure or a vaccine for this virus. Nothing else matters to the researcher. People think that when it becomes available, the cure or vaccine will be high priced because people will be willing to pay. That may be true. But the true researcher, that man or woman who is working with live virus every day, is just worried about finding the cure so their aging parents can be safe, so that children will have a future, so that people can come out again.
         The heroes. If you know one of these, thank them. Tell them you appreciate what they have done for you.
         But the essential workers do not end there. Because of my experience, there are at least two others who come to mind.
         The first of those would be funeral home workers. I know. We don’t want to think of that. But everyone dies of something, and many of those things are contagious for a period of time even after the person dies. We do not think of that man or woman who is slipping gloves on and a gown and a mask to work on someone who has died. Sometimes it is someone they knew. They are exposing themselves to a variety of dangerous elements in order to make a person ready for burial. It hardly seems essential until we have someone who has left us, and then it is the most important thing in the world. You know what would be great. If you folks called Grandstaff or McDonald or McKee or any other such place you have used, and thank them for their service.
         And then, I see those who have sought to keep the hope of the Lord getting out to all who will hear as essential. I hesitate to speak of this. I have never been one who has felt comfortable in ‘building’ myself up, but I am not speaking of myself. I know of many, many pastors who have been working to be real ‘pastors,’ that is a shepherd, to his or her flock during this time. I have watched numerous videos of pastors bringing messages of hope. Sometimes I have laughed, not at them, but rather, with them. We were not trained to make videos and we can mess up in pretty inventive ways. But I also know that while they are uncomfortable in front of the camera, they are at home when praying for their people, when talking on the phone to someone who is distressed, when someone enters their office who feels as though the world is overwhelming them. And not just those people in the clergy. All those others who have given their time and effort to keep their churches able to fulfill their primary function; being a beacon in the dark. This blog is not read just in Urbana. I encourage all of you, in whatever state or country you are in, to reach out and say thanks.
         There are a lot of people who have answered the call to be there for others during a dark time. Make it your business to thank a few of them as you go about your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment