Thursday, February 6, 2020


         The division between people.
         Think about it. What is it that divides people? Over the last few years we have had a front row seat to the great political divide in this country, culminating with the Speaker of the House shamelessly tearing up her copy of the President’s State of the Union address on national television. What brings us to this national division?
         We are the most divided people ever, yet we live in the United States. There are those who are opposed to the Constitution of the United States, there are those who want nothing more than to protect the Constitution of the United States. There are those who are opposed to the Bible, there are those who want nothing more than to protect the Bible. There are those who are opposed to abortion, there are those who want nothing more than to expand abortion. We are at odds with ourselves.
         What is it that divides people?
         Simply put, ignorance.
         Those who oppose the Constitution have not read it. Those who want to protect it mostly have not read it. When I enlisted in the military I took an oath. I, Larry Wade, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God. I took the oath, but I had never read the Constitution. I promised to abide by the regulations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, but that was probably the first time I had ever heard that phrase. No one had ever made me read the Constitution and no one had ever informed me, really, what the world was all about. And there I was, completely ignorant to what I was saying, giving my oath to defend and obey. And then, swearing that oath on God!
         We have this vast population that seems to be wandering through life with no clear purpose except to tear down. People talk of a new revolution and a new civil war without any clear concept of what those things are. When Donald Trump was elected a wild eyed young person said to me, “There is going to be a revolution, dude! What do you think of that?” I just smiled and said, “Well, we will win. We know how to shoot real guns while you and your friends only know how to shoot cyber guns.” He had no idea what to say. Ideas have to have action behind them to work. But, again, people just wander. Lost.
         Some years ago, while still in Ohio, I met with a family I did not know that was going to bury a loved one. They had no church affiliation at all. I asked them if there was anything they wanted read. Some Scripture or a poem or whatever. “Yeah, isn’t there something in the Bible about a shepherd or something? Yeah, some kind of shepherd.” To which his sister said, “Yeah, and there’s something in there about love or something. I heard it at a wedding. Yeah throw some of those verses in. Just don’t make it to preachy.” Imagine that; something about shepherds and love in the Bible. People just wander. Lost.
         Ignorance divides people. Whatever reality show is popular, that holds their attention. Whatever movie is hot, that holds their attention. Whatever video game is all the rage, that holds their attention. But the message of the Bible or the foundation and function of the country; it is boring and needs to be torn down.
         The greater the ignorance, the more the arrogance.
         However, Philippians 3:18-21 reads as such; For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.  But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like His glorious body, by the power that enables Him even to subject all things to Himself.
         I stand with Christ. We are joined. Whatever happens here on this earth has no bearing with the bond I have with Jesus. My citizenship is in heaven.
         Boy, that is a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment