Thursday, October 31, 2019


         There is a pattern in society now that is disturbing. We seemingly have more compassion for dogs and cats in an Animal Protective League shelter than we do for humans. Oh, we might rally for high profile causes, even if we do not have the whole story, but compassion and concern for people is in short supply. In San Francisco people are making a big deal about helping the homeless, but in Ashtabula, Ohio there are hundreds of people living under highway bridges in valleys and only the local churches help them. It isn’t high profile enough for the do gooders of the world to reach out. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful thing if people acted and reacted out of love instead of seeking personal gain?

         Back in my school days in a psychology class we were given a test to give to couples who were going to be married. I saw it online this past week written into a story and I had to stop and think of how long it has been since I had used it. It is good to use as a test to see if you really want to marry an individual, but for me, it is more beneficial to use it in evaluating ourselves.

         1 Corinthians 13 is often called the ‘love chapter.’ In chapter 13, Paul gives us the ideal definition of love. It is read at weddings, it is preached and it is read in devotions. Really good stuff. But it is also a very good test.

         The entire chapter is only thirteen verses. It is as follows;

1.)  If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2.) And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3.) If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4.)  Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5.) or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6.)  it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7.)  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8.)  Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9.) For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10.)  but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11.)  When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12.)  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13.)  So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

         In a wedding setting these words are beautiful. But how much do they impact us daily?

         The test for couples who are contemplating marriage goes like this; We know that this, in just a few verses, is the perfect explanation of love. To see if your partner is going to be a loving partner, take verses 4-7 and everywhere the word ‘love’ appears, put the name of the one you want to marry. For instance, Bob and Emily wish to get married. Emily does the test with Bob: 4.)  Bob is patient and kind; Bob does not envy or boast; he is not arrogant  5.)  or rude. He does not insist on his own way; he is not irritable or resentful; 6.)  he does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7.) Bob bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

That puts it in a different light and gives Emily something to consider as she looks to the future other than looking at Bob with the blindness that passion often clouds our minds with. When Bob puts Emily to the test, he also has something more to consider.

         But there is another application here and it requires personal honesty. It is, I believe, more important than the marriage application. Put your own name in place of ‘love.’ This causes you to evaluate yourself. For instance; 4.) Larry is patient and kind; Larry does not envy or boast; I am not arrogant  5.)  or rude. I do not insist on my own way; I am not irritable or resentful; 6.)  I do not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoice with the truth. 7.) Larry bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

         That makes it a bit more sobering. It is always hard to judge yourself. I have to do it often. Am I always patient and kind? It can be a struggle, especially being kind. It seems some people deserve being unkind to, but they need Christ and treating them harshly can drive them away. Do I envy what others have or boast of myself? That takes some work. Am I arrogant or rude to others? It is so easy to be rude to some! But when you are rude, aren’t you then being arrogant? Do I have to have my own way? I am a confident person and therefore I believe my thinking to be right. Right? Another battle. Am I irritable or resentful? I seem to be able to get past being resentful, but being irritable is so easy! Do I rejoice at wrong doing? I mean, if the cashier gives me to much money, am I proud of myself? Or, do I hold truth dear, even if it hurts me or others? Do I bear the problems of others? Do I see the good, even when it is surrounded by the bad? Do I hope for the best for others even if it diminishes me? Do I endure the bad that comes my way, knowing God is in charge?

         I am going to ask you to do this for yourself. Replace your name for ‘love’ and see if you are a loving person. And, if you are considering marriage, put the other person’s name in place of ‘love’ and see how they stack up. Do not expect perfection from you or anyone else. But, if you are striving for those things, or if your potential spouse is striving, that is good.

Be honest.

1 Corinthians 13:13--- So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment