Friday, November 30, 2018


          It is kettle time. You are going to Wal-Mart or maybe Jefferson Point in Ft. Wayne or some other chopping complex somewhere. There is a Salvation Army kettle set up outside and someone, all bundled up against the cold, ringing a bell to draw attention to the kettle. As you walk into the store, or as you walk out, you have this guilt feeling urging you to toss some money into the kettle. It is as much a part of Christmas as lights and decorations. You feel sorry for the bell ringer because it is cold. (In Miami they wore their Salvation Army uniform and sweated up a storm.) You know the money will go for good and, maybe, you want your child or grandchild that is with you to see you are generous. So, you toss in a few bucks and smile and then you have this slight feeling that you have been used.

          Personally, I like to find a place out of the way to stand and watch the people as they pass. Some are enthusiastic contributors, putting money in and then talking a bit to the bell ringer. Others try to slip by, but the bell ringer speaks to them, usually just wishing them a Merry Christmas, and they stop and grudgingly reach into their pocket or purse and pull out a little money.

          The kettle, nationwide, will bring in around $136,000,000 this year. The Red Kettle Drive goes from the last week in November to Christmas Eve. Throughout the year they have other ways to draw money through donations. Corporate sponsors, thrift stores and regular donations, just to name a few. Most of that money goes into programs to help folks who need help and it assists in a variety of ways. Many of their people are volunteers throughout the system. The officers (they are actually organized along the lines of a military army) do draw salaries, but those salaries are far from extravagant. The foot soldiers who draw salaries are paid even less. The money they bring in, mostly, works its way back into the community.

          Having said that, I have to say that you will never see me giving money to the Salvation Army.

          Why?

          Well, first, they are actually a church. They are an international organization but they are also a church with congregations in urban areas. I have no problem with them being a church, but I already give to a church, both in tithe and offering. Certainly, the church I give to cannot generate $136,000,000 in a month and the church I give to does not have the far reaching affect the Salvation Army has, but it is the church I belong to and when I choose to give to charity, I give through my church. If I want to give to another group, be it a mission organization or a food kitchen or whatever, I will know exactly to what I am giving. I also do not give to large religious organizations or ministries because I do not know for sure where the money goes. With my church I not only know where the money goes, but as a member, I also have a say. Also, I know what my church believes. The Salvation Army has a different theological view than I do. Nothing big or dramatic, but I wouldn’t support any other church with those theological beliefs, so I will not support the Army, either.

          Secondly, I will not give to the Army because they support organizations I do not want the money I donate to support. Primarily, the United Way. The United Way does a lot of good, but there are aspects of the Way that I find disgusting. I am not one to weigh the good against the bad. I don’t have to weigh the good against the bad. I give to my own church.

          I always felt I was weird about this (I am weird about a lot of things, so I never know when I am unusually weird) until one year in Ohio. The local Rotary Club had a kettle location they manned every year. One year they thought it would add to their donations if the members of the various churches saw their pastors ringing the bell. So, they asked for a meeting of the pastors and presented their idea. The pastors in that town were a fun loving bunch and we enjoyed doing things for the community and we enjoyed doing things together. To my surprise, there was not a single pastor who volunteered. It just wasn’t something they were going to do. So, I am not the only one.

          Understand, I am not telling you to do as I do. Each person has to respond as they see fit. There are a lot of charitable organizations out there you can give to, so you need to be sure you research each one. Some organizations give only a few cents out of every dollar they collect to go into their programs. The Army is not one of those. But there are other aspects to examine, as well. I am telling you this in case you see me walking past the kettle. I will speak to the bell ringer and I appreciate the effort made, but I won’t feel guilty. And you shouldn’t feel guilty, either. I give to a church I feel good about and where I know how the money s spent. And that is the command of te Lord.     

No comments:

Post a Comment