Friday, May 4, 2018


          If you have heard me preach or teach much in the past 30 years or so, you know that I have a fascination for Biblical names. The Jews took their names directly from their language as a hope for what the child would be. The name ‘Isaiah,’ for instance, isn’t just a cool sounding name. It comes right from the Hebrew language and means ‘Jehovah has saved.’ A Hebrew baby was given a name at birth but then a different name was given to him later in life as his personality began to form up. Was ‘Isaiah’ the name his parents gave him or was it something he earned later? We don’t know, but the name is very descriptive of who he was in his time. One of his contemporaries was a prophet named Amos. He was an itinerant farmer, following the crops. But, one day the Lord decided He wanted to use this rough and hardened man to bring a prophecy to a people hardened against God. ‘Amos’ means ‘burden.’ Was this the name his parents saddled him with because he was a burden to them or was this what he came to be known as after his harsh prophecy? Either way, there is a story.

           And then there is your name. How was it chosen. Maybe after a favorite relative. Maybe after a famous person. Maybe just because your mother liked the way it sounded. But how many of you had your names chosen because of what they mean? I suggested our son’s name to Marsha and she liked it, but I suggested it because of its meaning. The name ‘Adam’ means ‘man’ or ‘man of the earth.’ That is what I wanted my son to be; a man. A good man. And he is.

          But, as I said earlier, a name was given to a child at birth that usually reflected what the parent wanted for their child. As time went by, they often came into another name that was descriptive of their personality. Depending on what you read, there can be up to 956 names for God in the Bible. All are descriptive. You, too, have many names.

          While in seminary a group of guys would get together and play touch football in a field at the school. Marsha had our two year old son playing on the nearby playground and she was watching us from a distance, sitting on a swing on the playground. A little girl was playing nearby and Marsha struck up a conversation with her. “Are you here alone?” “I’m with Daddy.” The little one pointed out toward the field where we were playing the game. “Marsha said, “Oh, which one is Daddy?” The little one looked up at her and said, “Right there! Daddy!” “Well, OK, what is his name?” The little girl was getting frustrated and she fixed Marsha with a blue eyed stare. “His name is Daddy!!!” “OK,” Marsha managed, trying not to laugh. “What does your Mommy call him?” Realization dawned on the little girl’s face. “Oh. Mommy calls him Stupid.” Here was a man with many names. There was his birth certificate name, then the name he probably loved (Daddy) and then the name his beloved used (Stupid). Think about it. We all have multiple names.

          I have the name I was given at birth. If I introduce myself to someone, I use that name. However, during my lifetime I have also been called Son, Brother, Dad (or Father or Pops or Male Parental Type, depending on my son’s mood), Nephew, Cousin, Grandson, Husband (or any number of names my wife uses for me, along the lines of Joy of My Life), Son in Law, Brother in Law, Protector, Provider, Pastor, Leader, Preacher, Counselor, Advisor, Irritant, Customer, Patient, Teacher, Friend, Mentor, Teammate, Employee, Comforter, Boss, Helper and so on. These are the ways we are remembered. Most of those who remember me in these various ways know my name is Larry, but I am not Larry to them. I am the Pastor who brought the word to them of the death of their daughter. I am the Provider who bought the Raiders jacket his little heart was set on. I am the Teacher who explained something difficult to grasp. Different names for different people at different times.

          What are your names? How well do you live up to the good ones? How do you deal with the ones you earned because you were less than you should be? We leave an impression everywhere we go and with everyone we meet. It speaks to who we really are. It can change from time to time. Today I am Irritant to a former Youth from years ago. She sent me a sad story of her misfortune yesterday with her car. It was a rough day. But I responded that it could have been avoided if she had just done a particular thing. Now she is put out with me. That will change because in her mind, no matter how much time passes or how far the distances are, I am Youth Pastor to her, and someone she can talk to.

          Live up to the good names, deal with the bad names. Be the best you can be.

          My grandmother died at the age of 101. I only saw her for a week or two every year growing up, when we would go to Kentucky. I was never really close to her. I had a cousin who lived right there close, so he spent time with her as a child and as an adult. At her funeral, my cousin stood looking into her casket. I walked up to him and put my arm around his shoulders. “Hey buddy, you OK?” “Yeah, Cuz. But, you know, she was the best Bible I ever knew.” My cousin was one of the pillars of the church and knew the Word better than me. But he wasn’t talking about the Book clutched in his hand. He was talking about the lessons learned from a Godly woman. Be that to people. Be a man or woman of God. Let people remember you as such.

          The name ‘Jeremiah’ means ‘whom God has appointed.’ Whether you are a man or a woman, be a Jeremiah. Right now, today. You may have a grandchild several generations down the line who will come to the Lord because you became a Jeremiah. Live up to your names.
          Blessings   

No comments:

Post a Comment