Friday, April 13, 2018


          I have always hated it when I start a sentence with, “Well, I remember when….” That’s the kind of thing ‘old’ people say before they start going on about something they don’t like now and they begin to compare it to something that was good about the old days. I don’t want to be that person who starts going on as younger people start rolling their eyes. I want to be up on things, I want to know what is going on, I want to be able to relate. When I worked with Youth I would sit and watch an hour of MTV every week, just so I knew what the kids were thinking. I would grit my teeth, grip the arms of my chair and keep looking at my watch, but I wanted to be relevant.

          Having said that, let me say……..

          Well, I remember when…headlines were actually news.

          After my morning prayer time I turn on the computer and read the Word for a bit. I used to open my Bible and read the Word, but now I need bigger print. So, I read and then I check the headlines as they appear on the computer screen and then I have my dessert; which are the morning comics. My problem comes when I read the headlines. The headlines are the important news, right? The stuff that matters. The very things that drives our lives. Except not anymore. I realize that the internet news is geared for young adults. That is their demographic. But if what I see in the internet headlines is an indication of what young adults today consider important, it fully explains why young adults were filled with rage when Hillary Clinton lost and were weeping and rushing to find their ‘safe places.’

          It is no wonder we have so many weak minded young people. Young people who have no concept of what is important.

          This morning’s headlines;

So What’s the Deal with that Moviepass Plan?

Cops found her zip-tied in a frigid dumpster, unable to talk. Then the truth came out, Colorado cops say


Biblical prophecy claims the Rapture is coming April 23, numerologist says


Father, daughter who had child together dead in murder-suicide; Child also found dead


Killer clown investigators used DNA from hair samples to make cold case arrest


Wedding venue is 'mortified' after accidentally sending bride an email calling her a 'cow'


Arcade fame turns to infamy as Billy Mitchell's record-setting Donkey Kong score is invalidated


Mom shamed for letting her kid eat a peanut butter sandwich while shopping at Target: 'It's really awful you would do this’


Apparently high-definition vinyl is coming next year


Mommy Bear Pleads To Man To Save Her Drowning Cubs


          I left out the stories condemning the President for his actions. Just too silly. I also left in the grammatical errors.

          Anyway, this nonsense is what passes for news. Evidently, the Moviepass Plan is so important it deserved top billing. Then, the story of the woman found bound in a Colorado dumpster. I didn’t read it because it happened in Colorado and because bondage does not stimulate me. The Rapture article was just there to poke fun at Christianity. The Biblical scholar in question is David Meade. Last year he said he had figured out that the Rapture was going to be on a particular date in 2017, and he was, of course, wrong. In this article they quote Mr. Meade as saying that on April 23 the sun and moon will be in Virgo, as will Jupiter, which represents the Messiah. Totally designed to mock the Word of God. The father/daughter/child story features a love triangle aspect which apparently makes it news worthy. Killer clown stories are always good for a read. (When did clowns become scary? When I grew up, they were entertaining. I guess we were messed up kids.) The story of the wedding venue accidently calling a young woman a cow is sad, but is it headline news? Then, poor Billy Mitchell’s Donkey Kong score being invalidated is tragic. Horrible, even. It seems Mitchell has been setting records in Donkey Kong for 28 years. Now he is setting records in Pac-Man. I never heard of any of this because, well, while Mitchell was setting his records the Berlin Wall came down, communism ended in Russia, 9/11 happened, we have gone to war, the Cubs won a World Series……real news has happened. What about the poor mom who was shamed for letting her child eat a peanut butter sandwich in Target? Is anything worse than that? Actually, yes. She could have let her little girl use gender neutral restrooms in Target. That would have been poor parenting. High definition vinyl is coming soon, which will allow us to listen to music even better than we do now. Cool, I guess. And last, but not least, the mommy bear who pleaded with the man to save her drowning cubs. There is a video. Intended to bring the tears.

          How did this stuff become news and how is it national news? Not one single story on the ongoing war on terrorism. This morning I saw no articles on the conflict in Syria. I am grateful that on this day there was nothing about the Kardashians, especially with Khloe having her daughter this week. Good night.

          Folks, we are living in an era that is filled with pointless trivia that passes for news, the idea that if you don’t like something you go and cry and hide and the concept that if you whine loud enough you can get what you want. What is fair is fair, so long as you agree with what I say.

          Is there any hope for such a corrupted and polluted America?

          Of course there is. Jesus Christ. The hope and the joy of Christ will only get out there if we tell the story. The media will mock it. Young people are not interested. The world is against us. So what? The Apostle Paul came to Christ at a time when you could die for your faith. There was no way to get the message around the world instantaneously. There were no printed Bibles. Just handwritten Scripture and the New Testament was in the process of being written. Yet, Paul changed the world! How can we become discouraged?

          The garbage that passes for news is important to the younger audience. Why aren’t we giving them something else? When was the last time you talked to someone about Jesus? Not, when was the last time you talked about your church or invited someone to church, but when was the last time you shared the Gospel of Christ, the saving Gospel and the Gospel of hope?

          Just askin.’

No comments:

Post a Comment