Wednesday, February 8, 2017




            The two Psalms in this post are, by themselves, quite powerful. We can read Psalm 13 and see ourselves at a moment of despair as we try to reach out for God. In Psalm 30 we see the Psalmist joyfully claiming an emotional and Spiritual victory. But it is what we don’t readily see that really brings the power of these two Psalms into focus.

            The Psalms are the hymns the Jewish people sang. In the original language, Hebrew, these hymns have rhyme and meter, though we lose that in the English translation. At the beginning of both Psalms we have some quick information about the Psalm. Psalm 13 just tells us that it is for the chief musician of the Temple and that it was written by King David. In some older Bibles or versions in the reference notes it was thought to be written during David’s ongoing conflict with King Saul, but there is no proof of that. In fact, later discovery indicates a different reason for the writing. The beginning of Psalm 30 indicates that this was to be sung at the dedication of the house of David. There are places in the Bible that refer to the ‘House of David.’ First, it sometimes meant the kingly line that followed David, or his family or clan. Second, it sometimes meant the whole city of Jerusalem because David was the one who gained control of the city for the Jews. Third, it sometimes meant the Temple in Jerusalem. The Lord never allowed David to build the Temple, but his son Solomon did build it as both a tribute to God and to his father, who had desired to build it. In this case, it is probably referring to the Temple as the House of David. The Psalm was written much earlier by David, but was sung at the dedication.

            The interesting thing here is that these two Psalms are companion Psalms. David had sinned with Bathsheba, another man’s wife, and she had become pregnant. David then compounded the sin. He ordered that her husband be put in the front of a great battle so that he would be killed. He was killed and David then married Bathsheba to cover his sin and explain her pregnancy. The prophet Nathan then went to David and exposed the sin to David. It seems that David had become convinced that he, being God’s chosen, would not be held accountable for a sin like a normal person. When he realized the gravity of his actions, he was immediately filled with sorrow. He sought forgiveness and it was given. There would be, however, a price to pay for the sin. Nathan told him that the child born of the sinful union would die, even though the child had no fault. When the child was born he was sickly. David loved the sick child immensely and went to the Lord over and over for him, but the child grew worse. The whole story is in 2 Samuel 11 and 12 and is worth reading. This is the subject of this first Psalm.

Psalm 13

1 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? David here is feeling as though God does not hear. Haven’t we all had those moments?

2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? ‘Counsel in his soul’ means it was like he was talking to himself. The enemy here is the enemy of death.

3 Consider and hear me, O Lord my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death;

4 Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed against him"; Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved. David is in agony. He refers to death as ‘sleep,’ as though his own death would be welcomed. His physical enemies, those who ‘troubled’ him, would rejoice.

5 But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.

6 I will sing to the Lord, Because He has dealt bountifully with me. In the end, though, he would continue to trust in the Lord because the Lord had shown him in the past that He was good.

            The baby died.

            Psalm 30 was written six months or so later and traces David’s recovery. The Psalm answers David’s anguish in Psalm 13.

Psalm 30

1 A Psalm. A Song at the dedication of the house of David. I will extol You, O Lord, for You have lifted me up, And have not let my foes rejoice over me. Those who had troubled him, his human enemies, had not won a victory in his despair.

2 O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me. Though the pain was great, the Lord had brought him through.

3 O Lord, You brought my soul up from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. David hadn’t died and had, in fact, come out the stronger.

4 Sing praise to the Lord, You saints of His, And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.

5 For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. David’s message to the saints. He acknowledges that the Lord was angry, but then he writes the great words of hope; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning.

6 Now in my prosperity I said, "I shall never be moved." He is saying that for a while he thought he was above sin.

7 Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled.

8 I cried out to You, O Lord; And to the Lord I made supplication:

9 "What profit is there in my blood, When I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth?

10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me; Lord, be my helper!" David remembers his anguish and his pleading.

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, David now danced before the Lord rather than mourned. This doesn’t mean that he was glad for the death, nor the he no longer grieved. Just that the Lord had lifted him up.

12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever. God’s goodness was now even more clear to David and he would never forget.

            I have shared this many, many times with those in grief. They understand the helpless calling to God. They feel the mourning in the night. And they look forward to the joy in the morning and mourning turned to dancing.

            Have joy in Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment